Sancoche – Dominican Style
Saltfish dishes are popular year round in Dominica. Sancoche is a must have this Creole Season. Sancoche can be Enjoyed as a breakfast or a side dish in your main course meal. Treat your family and friends this creole season with some real creole cooking.
This recipe serves 4-5 persons.
- 1lb salt/cod fish
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 gloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 blades chive (chopped)
- 4 seasoning peppers (sliced)
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp flour (optional)
- Wash codfish, remove bones, add water and boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and flake the codfish.
- Saute/fry onion, garlic, chive, peppers in oil. Add curry powder, stir well. Cook for about three (3) minutes.
- Add coconut milk, flaked codfish, black pepper. Stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Are you a lover of a lot of gravy? No problem, simply increase you coconut milk by ½ cup.